About - Mahurangi West Hall

 


Mahurangi West Hall and Reserve Society Inc

 

 A little history of our Hall, believed to be the oldest school in Northland standing on its original site:

1885    Built by local residents, mainly farmers in solid Kauri

1886    Opened as Mahurangi Heads West School with 24 pupils

1889    Pohuehue School opened and shared a teacher with Mahurangi Heads West School

1946    Mahurangi Heads West School closed for admissions

1952    Became a recreation reserve

1954    Crown Land

1961    Mahurangi West Domain Board appointed       

1966    Revoked by Minister of Lands, Rodney Council appointed as Mahurangi West Domain Board

1979    Classified as a reserve for local purposes and the site for a public Hall

1979-   Used for Church services, Public meetings, Health and Fitness classes, fundraising, drama productions, community dinners and events, Table tennis, Weddings, Birthday celebrations etc.

2014   Official Opening of a Toilet Block

  

The hall is currently managed by local residents under Mahurangi West Hall and Reserve Inc. and the community is responsible for the maintenance and upkeep. The building is deeded from Department of Conservation and footprint of land leased from Auckland Council. Mahurangi West has around 170 households and the restoration and renovation of the hall is generously supported with time, expertise and materials by local residents.

 

                                                        MAHURANGI WEST HALL HIRE


If you would like to hire the hall & marquee site for any occasion c
ontact Christine Halpin 09 422 0101 or go to                                                         www.mahurangiwest.co.nz/about/booking-the-hall

Photo: Jay Farnworth - Image Search
                                                    Photo : Jay Farnsworth - Image Search
ĉ
Mahurangi West,
28 Mar 2012, 13:39
ć
Mahurangi West,
28 Mar 2012, 13:44
Comments